NEWCASTLE BOYS' HIGH SCHOOL
NBHS Badge
NEWCASTLE HIGH SCHOOL
Newcastle Public School
NEWCASTLE GIRLS' HIGH SCHOOL
NGHS Logo


Wikipedia

Facebook

LINKS TO ALL
OUR PAGES

HOME PAGE
HOME PAGE

ADMISSION REGISTERS
ADMISSION REGISTERS
FIND MY REGISTER

HISTORY
HISTORY of the SCHOOLS
CAESAR SMITH COLLECTION

ORAL HISTORY

WRITTEN HISTORY

NEWCASTLE HIGH SCHOOL
The original "School on the Hill" - established 1906
ANECDOTES
CLASS PHOTOS

GROUP PHOTOS
INDIVIDUALS

MISCELLANEA

NOVOCASTRIANS (Magazine)
OBITUARIES

OTHER PHOTOS
SCHOOL SONG

NEWCASTLE BOYS' HIGH SCHOOL
An academically selective boys-only high school which moved to Waratah in 1934
ANECDOTES
CHARLIE

CHARLIE (GOFFET)

CHARLIE LETTERS

CHARLIE MISCELLANEA

CLASS PHOTOS

GROUP PHOTOS

INDIVIDUALS

MISCELLANEA
NOTABLES

NOVOCASTRIAN

OBITUARIES

OTHER PHOTOS

REGISTERS ALPHA

REGISTERS PHOTOS

REUNIONS

REUNIONS - YEAR of '65

SCHOOL SONG

SORENSEN

-HAMILTON PRIMARY DAYS

- NBHS MEMOIRS

- SCHOOLBOY ROCKETRY
TENNIS PHOTOS
VIDEOS

OLD BOYS' ASSOCIATION
NBHS Alumni
ANNUAL DINNER
COMMITTEE

CONTACT US

EDUCATION
FORMATION
HISTORICAL

MEMBERSHIP

MISCELLANEA

PRESIDENTS' REPORTS
PREVIOUS EX STUDENTS' ASSOC

NEWCASTLE GIRLS' HIGH SCHOOL
An academically selective girls-only high school began its separate existence (from "The Hill") in 1929 at Hamilton
ANECDOTES
CLASS PHOTOS

GROUP PHOTOS
INDIVIDUALS
MISCELLANEA
OBITUARIES
OTHER PHOTOS
REGISTERS ALPHA
REGISTERS PHOTOS

REUNION PHOTOS
SCHOOL SONG
VIDEOS

NGHS EX-STUDENTS UNION
NGHS Alumni

ESU enter
APPLICATION TO JOIN
FORMATION & PAST DINNERS
PRESIDENTS' REPORTS

 

WEBSITE UPDATES

December 2021

Transferred November updates more



 

 
 
 
 
 
 
View previous monthly updates more
 

PRESIDENTS' REPORTS
2021

NGHS Logo
NGHS EX STUDENTS UNION
ESU
2021 PRESIDENTS' REPORT CLICK HERE

NBHS Badge
NBHS OLD BOYS' ASSOC
2021 PRESIDENTS' REPORT CLICK HERE

" ... any member who has items which may be of historical significance, including photos and magazines, please contact Dick Sanders Email Dick with a view to either providing them to the OBA or at least having their whereabouts noted.
Work by Committee Members is progressing on the cataloguing of memorabilia held at Newcastle Library but this is slow and painstaking. Any members willing to assist should contact the Association.
A reminder too that we add obituaries of deceased Old Boys to our website as there appears to be some interest in them. If you know of anyone who would not have minded having theirs added please forward them to our webmaster Greg Kentish Email Greg ..."

.............................................................................................................................................................................

NEWCASTLE HIGH SCHOOL - NGHS - NBHS
TRANSITION
History > Evolution > Demise >

Before 1906, young Novocastrians had to catch the train daily to Maitland, the only State high school in the Hunter.
From 6 June 1906, however, senior students, both male and female, were able to attend Newcastle High School (NHS), at the top of Tyrrell Street.
Twenty eight enrolled on that day, with Charles Rattray (‘Caesar’) Smith as Headmaster and Mr T Roberts and Miss Louisa Cole as staff.
NHS was the first selective, co-educational, school in Newcastle.

On 4 February 1930, with NHS overcrowded, the girls moved into the all new Newcastle Girls' High School (NGHS) at Hamilton, under Headmistress Agnes Brewster and the ‘School On The Hill’ became Newcastle Boys’ High School (NBHS).

By 1932, NBHS was seriously overcrowded, with 700 boys and another 120 in the Annexe at Newcastle Teachers College.

In 1934 the boys were finally able to move in to the new NBHS at Waratah, under Headmaster Charles ("Daddy") Chrismas.

The ‘School On The Hill’ then became Newcastle Junior High School.

Charles Smith
Caesar Smith

Agnes Brewster

Charles Chrismas
Daddy Christmas

Waratah High School
In 1978, the last NBHS student completed year 12 and the name of the school was changed to Waratah High School.

Newcastle High School "Re-Born"
Newcastle High School was ‘reborn’ in 1976, with the amalgamation of the campuses of Hunter Girls High and Newcastle Girls High Schools, as a co-educational, comprehensive, non-selective high school, under Principal Bob Donaldson, and retaining the  classic colours, shield and motto.

.....................................

A SUMMARY of the FORMATION, AIMS and ACHIEVEMENTS of the OBA and ESU

Associations For Past Students - The Boys

The first ‘ex-pupils’ union’ was formed in 1909, when the enrolment in that year was 131. Audrey Armitage writes ‘With the aim of building up a noble tradition of scholarship at Newcastle High, Smith (Headmaster Charles Rattray ‘Caesar’ Smith) formed in 1909 an ex-pupils union whose objects were to maintain the connection of ex-students with their school and the friendships they had formed while at school, and to promote the mutual improvement of members.

The ex-pupils union formed by Smith found that its annual dinner was a social highlight, but this group appears to have disbanded some time after Mr Smith left.
Issues of the Novocastrian in subsequent years saw many heartfelt articles on the need to (re) form the Ex-Students Union. It appears that the main difficulty was that all tertiary education, in those days, whether Teachers’ College or University, had to be taken in Sydney meaning that most former students were no longer in town.

In 1921 it was again decided to form an Ex-Pupils Union. It was decided that the subscription, which was fixed at 5s a year, should include current copies of the school paper, the “Novocastrian,” which the editor  promised to feature news concerning ex-pupils. The constitution was made as simply as possible, and office-bearers elected.

A badge was adopted, of diamond-shaped enamel, in the school colours, with a shield in the centre bearing the letters O.N. (Old Novocastrians). The upper left and the lower right edges of the diamond carried the school motto, “Remis Velisque.” It is not known if the badge ever went beyond the design stage.

It is not known if there were any other attempts at the formation of an ex-students’ association, until the formation of an Old Boys’ Union on 1 June 1954, as reported in the Newcastle Morning Herald and Miners’ Advocate of 3 June. A Committee was formed with Alwyn Hannaford, School Captain in 1946, elected President. The annual subscription was set at 10/- and a dinner proposed for July. A box of OBU ties, from this group, is now in the Old Boys’ Caesar Smith collection in the Newcastle Museum. It is not known when or why this OBU failed.

On 9 December 1986, in a phone call between Old Boys Dale Kemp and Dick Sanders, it was decided to form the NBHSOBA. It was felt, since the School no longer existed, and all previous ‘Old Boys’ associations had not been sustained, that it was important that the traditions of the school should be carried forward and not forgotten. Also, a single annual dinner, for all years, would be more efficient and effective in meeting that aim, than the current organising of ad hoc reunions.

The Steering Committee of ten met at the Newcastle Police Centre on 7 January 1987. The OBA was launched at the Police & Citizens' Boys' Club on 20 March 1987, where the inaugural committee was elected by the 93 former students and teachers present. Four Sub-committees were agreed on (Membership, Functions, Education, Historical) together with their members and Chairmen. The goals of the Association were agreed on, becoming the basis for the Constitution. Trevor Dunn, School Captain in 1955 was elected as the inaugural President.

.....................................

Associations For Past Students - The Girls
from Audrey Armitage’s book.
NGHS Logo

In June 1944 Miss Marjorie (‘Madge’) Henson, Headmistress 1943-1944, was made patron of the newly-formed Ex-Students’ Union – a mark of their appreciation of her.

There is no mention of a prior ESU in Audrey Armitage’s book ‘Newcastle High School – The First 75 Years’, so it is assumed that 1944 marked the formation of the first NGHSESU.

Dorothy Payn was the NGHS Headmistress 1952-1953. It was at her suggestion that the NGHS ESU was re-activated in 1952, when she was made Patron.

The ESU has functioned continuously since.

.....................................